With AS220’s help we’ve been able to plan the next couple of Geek Dinners further in advance. So please mark your calendars for the evenings (the usual 5:30on-8pm+) of Wednesday, June 14th, and Wednesday, July 12th. Details to follow as the dates approach.
Find the details and RSVP here. See you all soon!
Update: If you like, remember to bring your camera so that we can post photos to the Providence Geeks Flickr Photo Pool.
The May 17th Geek Dinner will feature a short demo and Q&A session by brand-new Providence Start-Up Tizra, creators of tools that enable publishers to “precisely manage the presentation, packaging, pricing, and license terms for bundled, unbundled, and rebundled products.”
David Durand, CEO of Tizra and a Providence Geek regular, will demonstrate some of their tool’s cool new AJAX user-interaction features for controlling web site templates, and, time permitting, some related PDF mangling and wrangling. Francisco Rosa, the developer, will be on hand early to answer questions about technical strategy, libraries, and so on.
To my knowledge, this session will be the first time that Tizra has shared a lot of this functionality — should be really interesting.
Photo Credit: Bret A. Ancowitz, M.D. of Garris Photography
Yes, the next Providence Geeks dinner is less than a week away:
Wednesday, May 17, 2006, 5:30pm – 8pm+
115 Empire Street, Providence, RI
Please RSVP using the comments on this blog entry so we can give the good folks at AS220 an estimated headcount. And while youâ€™re at it, subscribe to our NEW feeds and/or join the mailing list (for the mailing list, send an email to Jack Templin at jtemplin at Gmail with your name and affiliation).
As always, for first-timers here are the details on the geek dinners:
- Itâ€™s totally casual. Wear whatever, bring whoever, arrive and vamoose wheneverâ€¦
- Topics of conversation will vary as they will at any gathering of geeks, but many of us will be talking about AJAX, mash-ups, start-ups, new devices, business models, interaction design, digital art, and web services.
- Food and beverages are for sale at the adjoining Taqueria Pacifica and bar.
- There is WiFi so bring your connected device of choice.
- We have AS220â€™s performance space from 5:30pm to approximately 7pm. After that the geekery moves to AS220’s adjoining cafe.
P.S. Sorry for the relatively short notice on this dinner. We wanted to time its announcement with the new site, and well, you all know how that goes…
Welcome to the all new and improved Providence Geeks site. So what’s new and improved about it?
- A swanky new domain — ProvidenceGeeks.org.
- Our own instance of WordPress (the old blog was on WordPress.com’s hosted service), which gives us a lot more flexibility as we pimp out our template with widgets and miscellaneous bling.
- New feeds courtesy of Feedburner. Don’t forget to subscribe!
- And coming Real Soon Now, Providence Geeks forums powered by PunBB. Register and start posting!